Launches 100% PCW Paper and Environmental Brochure
South Portland, ME August 16, 2011 – Twin Rivers Paper Company supports its commitment to sustainability by launching Twin Rivers® Offset 100, a printing paper containing 100% post-consumer fiber. Additionally, the company released its new Environmental Philosophy & Practices Overview brochure which highlights key components of its environmental platform. Responding to market demand for higher levels of post-consumer fiber, Twin Rivers Offset 100 fills a void in the market for environmentally friendly printing papers with high recycled content. Available in a basis weight range of 35-50 lb. (25 x 38), Twin Rivers Offset 100 is a versatile paper used in multi-purpose printing applications including manuals, tradebooks, direct mail, financial documents and government printing projects.
“We are excited about producing a category-leading environmental paper. With curb-side mixed source collection, debris and contamination are a challenge for papermakers. Our operations team worked hard to offer customers a clean, printable product with 100% post-consumer fiber,” said Jim Gehrman, Senior Vice President of Sales and Marketing. “In developing Twin Rivers Offset 100, we incorporated our customers’ requirements for high levels of post-consumer fiber with their functional needs for a reliable, flexible offset paper to be used in a range of commercial printing and publishing applications.”
In combination with the product launch, Twin Rivers has released an Environmental Philosophy and Practices Overview. In a simple, succinct format, the new brochure communicates the company’s approach to sustainability in the areas of infrastructure, energy reduction and product stewardship. Highlights include:
• Meeting comprehensive program standards for environmental management systems and fiber certification through the Sustainable Forestry Initiative® and Forest Stewardship Council®;
• Deriving 83% of energy requirements from carbon-neutral sources such as biomass and liquor;
• Operating oil-free during normal production, resulting in a reduction of greenhouse gas emissions by 76% since 2006;
• Utilizing a CAD $23 million allocation from the Canadian Pulp and Paper Green Transformation Program to execute numerous energy conservation and waste, water and electricity reduction projects at the Edmundston pulp mill;
• Building a portfolio of sustainable papers – certification to SFI® or FSC® program standards and enhanced capability to make products with up to 100% post-consumer waste.
“Sustainability drives our operations and processes,” added Dave Deger, Director of Marketing and Business Development. “Producing a paper containing a 100% post-consumer fiber supports our customers’ exacting ecological requirements while helping to divert waste paper from landfills. Our work in reducing energy consumption, maintaining rigorous fiber certification standards and lowering our greenhouse emissions combined with the launch of Twin Rivers Offset 100 serve as great examples of how our actions support our commitment to environmental sustainability.”
For more information about Twin Rivers Offset 100 or to request the Twin Rivers Environmental Philosophy & Practices Overview, visit www.twinriverspaper.com/enviro or call 1-800-920-9988.
Director, Business Development and Marketing
Twin Rivers Paper Company is an integrated specialty paper company that manufactures packaging, label and publishing products for targeted markets and applications. The company has operations in Maine and New Brunswick. For more information, visit us on the web at www.twinriverspaper.com.